When you are looking for the perfect holiday destination, the Isle of Palms is a stunning barrier island located just off the coast of Charleston, South Carolina. It offers a variety of attractions and activities for both tourists and locals. In this guide, we will explore everything you need to know about the Isle of Palms, from its beaches and outdoor activities to its restaurants and accommodations.
Getting to the Isle of Palms SC
The Isle of Palms is located just 12 miles from downtown Charleston. This means that it is easily accessible by car or taxi.
The Charleston International Airport is just 17 miles away if you are flying in. Once you arrive on the island, you can easily get around on foot, by bike, or by golf cart.
In the Isle of Palms, the weather is generally pleasant all year long. Through June, July, and August, the summer is the busiest time of year. It is also a lot nicer to visit the beach during the cooler months.
There are still plenty of things to do because everything is open all year long, even though you won’t be laying on the beach in your bikini. Depending on the month, the weather is generally moderate.
Where to Stay on the Isle of Palms SC
You might be asking yourself, “Where will I stay on this beautiful and glorious island?” Whether you’re looking for a luxury resort or a comfortable beachfront cottage, the Isle of Palms has plenty of accommodations to choose from. Some of the most popular options include:
- Wild Dunes Resort: The primary lodging facility on the Isle of Palms is Wild Dunes Resort. This luxury resort offers a variety of accommodations, including hotel rooms, villas, and condos, as well as a golf course, spa, and tennis courts.
- The Boardwalk Inn: The resort’s first hotel, the Boardwalk Inn, is what first made it a popular vacation spot. It is situated on the front beach, accessible via a boardwalk that first takes you past the best lounge area and beachfront restaurant. When you have had your fill of beach time for the day, you can enjoy lunch or dinner at Coastal Provisions.
- Sweetgrass Inn: Another lodging option nearby is the Sweetgrass Inn. The rooms are large and have stunning views of the beach and marsh on opposite sides of the hotel. There is a sizable pool there as well as a separate kids’ pool area with fire pits and a fun tiki bar.
- The Palms Oceanfront Hotel: Located right on the beach, this hotel offers stunning ocean views and easy access to the island’s many attractions.
- Isle of Palms Rentals: Many vacation rentals are located on the Isle of Palms. If you want to stay inside the resort but need more room than a hotel room offers, Wild Dunes Vacation Rentals is a great choice.
This popular destination is famous for its beaches, which offer miles of pristine sand and crystal-clear water. Due to its size, you can find some quiet when you take a walk along the sandy shore. Only during the busiest travel times are dogs required to be on a leash on the beach here.
In addition to fishing as a popular activity, you can also hire a boat from the Isle of Palms Marina if you would like to take advantage of fishing charters and boat rentals when you are visiting the coast.
There are volleyball courts, showers, dressing rooms, restrooms, and beach gear rentals in the Isle of Palms County Park, the island’s primary beachside park where beach volleyball is popular. Some of the most popular beaches on the island include:
- Isle of Palms County Park Beach: This beach is located on the island’s north end and is popular for its wide stretches of sand, picnic areas, and amenities like restrooms and showers.
- Wild Dunes Beach: This beach is located on the island’s south end and is known for its calm waters. It is perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Sullivan’s Island Beach: While technically not on the Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Island is just a short drive away and is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the area.
There are plenty of eateries in the Isle of Palms and therefore dining out is not a problem while you’re visiting. The Breach Inlet has The Boathouse which is a local favorite and offers the best seafood. The water dining experience and fresh seafood are available if you decide to dine outside on the deck.
The Isle of Palms is home to a variety of restaurants, ranging from casual beachside cafes to upscale fine dining establishments. Some of the most popular restaurants on the island also include:
- The Obstinate Daughter: This upscale restaurant offers Italian-inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Sea Biscuit Cafe: This casual cafe serves breakfast and lunch dishes, including sandwiches, salads, and seafood.
- Coconut Joe’s Beach Grill: Located right on the beach, Coconut Joe’s is the perfect spot for a casual meal or a refreshing drink.
In addition to its hotels, beaches, and restaurants, the Isle of Palms offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Fishing: Whether you prefer deep-sea fishing or casting a line from the shore, the Isle of Palms is a great destination for anglers of all skill levels.
- Kayaking: Rent a kayak and explore the island’s many waterways, including the Intracoastal Waterway and the marshes that surround the island.
- Golfing: The island is home to several golf courses, including the Wild Dunes Resort golf courses, which offer stunning views of the ocean.
- Biking: Rent a bike and explore the island’s many bike paths, including the Isle of Palms Connector, which offers breathtaking views of the ocean.
The Isle of Palms is a fantastic destination for anyone looking for a relaxing beach vacation with plenty of outdoor activities and delicious dining options. With moderate weather all year long, you have the opportunity to go to the Isle of Palms SC for vacation at any time of the year.